Am I responsible for my ex-husband’s court ordered debt?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for my ex-husband’s court ordered debt?

My ex-husband and I had our debts split by the court. He was ordered to pay off a certain debt. The attorney for that the creditor for that debt is now suing me for it because he is overseas on deployment. Can they do that even after a judge ordered him to pay it?

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Unfortunately yes, you can be held liable for the debts incurred by both of you even though they were divided in the divorce decree.  You see the credit card company was not a party to the divorce action between you and your husband and is not bound by the agreement or the court order.  Their agreement was between them and you as a couple.  That was the contract that they are basing the law suit on and they have every right to do so.  Your right is to sue your ex husband based upon the divorce decree. Not so easyif he is deployed.   Get help. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption