am i responsible for damages when car was stolen and i have no insurance

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

am i responsible for damages when car was stolen and i have no insurance

I was robbed and car was stolen , I dont have insurance

Asked on May 18, 2019 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are not responsible for what the car thief does with the car--any accidents he/she is in, any persons he/she injures or kills, etc.--unless it can be shown that you are truly at fault in someway in the theft: e.g. you gave the keys to unreliable acquiantence, who then kept the car instead of returning it. The act of giving the keys to someone who not have them can make you liable. Or you could be liable if the car was stolen becasue you left it unlocked with the keys in it: your unreasonable carelessness contributed to the car being taken. But if they can't show fault on your part, you are not responsible for what a person who stole you car does with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption