Am I responsible for crashing the company truck?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for crashing the company truck?

My friend started his own trucking LLC.
I work for him. I hit a clearance
overpass and the insurance company said
it was totaled. He is making payments on
the truck too. At time of crash employer
was present, as we were looking at the
GPS. The towing cost was around 2600
dollars. Im also on with the company’s
vehicle insurance. Now my wages are
being withheld, saying that I have to
make it back. Am I responsible for if
and anything?

Asked on April 18, 2019 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are responsible for crashing the company truck, based on what you write. Any driver who is driving carelessly when he or she hits something and damages another's vehicle is liable or responsible for the cost of the damage. You hit a stationary object: an overpass. It is by definition negligent or careless to hit a stationary object. Therefore, you were at fault and are responsible for the damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption