Am I responsible for an increased water bill from my landlords busted sprinklers.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for an increased water bill from my landlords busted sprinklers.

We have been renting a house in
Hewitt TX since October 2016. October
and November our water bill was 85
per month. In December our bill went to
425 and we realized his automatic
sprinkler system that came on from 2
am until 5 am had busted and was
draining water. From then I unplugged
the system, however the months of
January and the bill we just received
have each been 250. Our landlord in
December said he would pay 250 of it
to help out. We have since paid over
500 over a couple months to keep
from our water being shut off. Are we
responsible for this or do we have
recourse against our landlord?

Thank you


Asked on February 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible if you were at fault: that is, if you damaged the sprinklers, causing the leak (e.g. "mowed over" a sprinkler head; damaged a pipe while a plumber you hired was doing work; etc.) or if it should have been quickly obvious that there was a problem (e.g. when you went out in the morning, there were large standing pools of water, or there was water in the basement, which would indicate a leak) but you failed to notify your landlord, thus not giving him a chance to correct the problem. 
If you were not at fault, you were not liable; and if you are not liable and your landlord improperly takes money from your security deposit, yoiu could sue for its return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption