Am I required to provide my current address to my spouse if i am afraid of him?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to provide my current address to my spouse if i am afraid of him?

I am fearful of him because he left our home after threatening to hurt me and

trying to break down a bedroom door to get to me. He has tried to get into my

bank account, email accounts and called our landlord and forced me to move. I am now in a safe place but don’t want him to know where. We have a 13 year old son who he told to run away while they were on the phone. He wants to do a welfare check because my son doesn’t want to talk to him on the phone or text him anymore after that conversation.

Asked on March 28, 2018 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please go and seek help from Legal Aid or a women's legal services.  What you need to do is file for divorce and for full custody of your son and generally speaking, you do NOT have to give your present address if you are afraid of being harmed.  The Court will allow you to keep your whereabouts a secret.  But it is really important that you estaboish yourself as the sole custodial parent and your son's wishes being 13 will carry great weight, especially if he is also afraid of him.  Good luck to you both.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption