Am I required to not have any contact with the parents and child of a personal injury claim against my homeowners Ins.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to not have any contact with the parents and child of a personal injury claim against my homeowners Ins.?

the 8 yr old child was bitten by my sons dog on our property. The dog was put down that night and the child has had multiple surgeries. The problem I have is that, the family of the child who live across the street from us have been friends of ours for 25 yrs. I am torn because I don’t know what kind of contact I should with them If any.

Asked on May 17, 2018 under Personal Injury, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Are you legally prohibited or barred from having contact with them? No.
Would it be a good idea, however, to not have contact with them? Yes. Anything you say could be used against you, if you inadvertently say anything supporting your liability. That could help them if they were to sue you (such as if the insurer denies their claim, or does not offer them as much as they believe they are entitled to); or it could provide them leverage against your insurer, and hurting your own insurer's interests (i.e. increasing the likelihood that they would have to pay or the amount they might have to pay) could potentially give the insurer grounds to not cover you due to your lack of "cooperation" with them--meaning the family would then likely sue. A good rule of thumb is to not communicate with anyone who is or might be taking legal action against you or putting a claim in against your policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption