Am I personally responsible for a house I rented out if I place it in an LLC upon hearing of an accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I personally responsible for a house I rented out if I place it in an LLC upon hearing of an accident?

The tenant called and said she tripped from the top of steps due to a crooked flooring I was unaware of its size and I cannot see how she was able to fall from the minor rise in the flooring. She said he had to go to the hospital with a follow up appointment. No suit yet, but tenant has a history of suing pass landlord. The house is not in a LLC and I was wondering if it is too late to do so in case of a suit.

Asked on January 18, 2018 under Personal Injury, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An LLC only protects you from liability (such as from slips-and-falls) occuring *after* the formation of the LLC; the liability protection is not retroactive. So forming an LLC now will not help vs. this incident, but is a very good idea for the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption