am i liable for giving my pin number to a friend

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

am i liable for giving my pin number to a friend

i gave my debit card to a friend to go to the store for me,, he came back with my
card and parcel,, i put the card in my wallet and put it in my drawer,, he left
but his friend stole my card,,she met up with him and they spent my money ,, am i

Asked on March 2, 2018 under Criminal Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are liable to whomever they spent your money with or any stores, online sites, etc. at which they used your card: debit cards (like stolen cash) do not have fraud protection, and if your money is spent, the people who were paid by it get to keep it so long as they did not know it was stolen at the time.
However, you may sue the girlfriend for stealing from you; and your friends as her accomplice if he knowingly helped her, or for his negligence (carelessness) in not protecting your card. So you can try to get your money back from them.
You can also file criminal charges against them, and it's possible that the government will look to make them pay "restitution" (reimbursement) to you as part of their plea or sentence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption