Am I Liable for damages?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I Liable for damages?

I have a designated parking space as a medically disabled person in front of a building on a military base. The same vehicle had been parking in my spot despite the fact that it is clearly marked with a placard on an orange traffic cone. I was forced to walk from a far parking lot due to this which severely causes aggravated pain. I placed the cone on the hood of the vehicle after the third incident to make it clear the space is reserved and according to the vehicle owner I scratched the hood in doing so. He wants me to pay for the damage repair.

Asked on February 2, 2018 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are liable. His violating parking rules or laws does NOT empower another private citizen to damage his property: you could have reported him to building management or other authorities to ticket or tow him potentially, but you had no right to damage his vehicle. If you did scratch the paint, you would have to pay to repair/repaint it, or else he could sue you for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption