Am I liable for assisting people into a hospital?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for assisting people into a hospital?

I work at a hospital (I am not employed by the hospital, the company is contracted by the hospital) for a private parking valet company. I work by the emergency room entrance and many times assist er patients and other medical patients into the hospital by helping them out of cars and pushing them in wheelchairs. Am I liable if a patient wants to sue me or anyone involved in their care during that time? The company I work for is small and I do not think they have liability insurance for this.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are allowed to be at the medical facility to assist people and while you are doing your duties someone gets hurt under your care and decides to file suit against you, your employer and the hospital, potentially you could be held liable for what you may have done deemed negligent or legally improper in the event of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption