Am I legally responsible to appear to give adeposition if I was subpoenaed?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally responsible to appear to give adeposition if I was subpoenaed?

I was a passenger in a car involved in an accident a couple of years ago. I recently received a subpoena from an attorney’s office to appear at the office to give a deposition regarding this accident. Will I get compensated for lost wages for the day.

Asked on August 24, 2011 Pennsylvania


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning,

Thanks for posting to our website and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to it  if you receive a subpoena you must comply. And no customarily there is no compensation for this. You can and should call the office of the attorney and ask if they plan to compensate you or if they can provide a specific time period. This will enable you to work half a day.

It is standard legal practice to take depositions. There is no reward for complying but you also may want to ask if the office would consider late or early office hours to enable you to work the day or part.

Sorry I wasn't more help but the reality is there is no good answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption