Am I legally married and, if so, how do I get out of this marriage?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally married and, if so, how do I get out of this marriage?

I am a mail order minister who has been granted permission to ordain clergy to work under me. My fiance and I were planning on getting married over a year ago, but I kept pushing back the date, uncertain after discovering that he has an abusive streak. One night at a dinner party in my home, my fiance got me very drunk, had me ordain one of his close friends, and we were married. I didn’t even know until the next day when he told me he had filed the paperwork with the courthouse. What do I do? Am I even married? How do I get out of this mess?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Listen, I would consider yourself married for the sake of argment and moe from there to have it set aside, as well as the ordination of the minister.  For that you may need to speak with yor church.  Arguably you had "diminished capacity" to contract - you were drunk and marriage is a contract - and to ordain as well. But I would not assume that the marriage will fall automatically should the ordination be found not binding. Seek legal help NOW.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption