Am I legally liable for the shared dish network bill at my house if it is my roommate’s name and he is leaving?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally liable for the shared dish network bill at my house if it is my roommate’s name and he is leaving?

My roommate and I have lived in the house since last 16 monthsand he is leaving for supposed greener pastures. Since the contract is in his name and he is wanting me to foot the rest of it am I legally liable if I have not signed anything and my name is on the contract?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would not be liable to the dish company if you were not on the contract and were not a signatory to it. Only parties which agree to a contract are bound by it. If there had been an agreement between the two of you that you would pay half (or some portion) of the dish expenses, he could possibly enforce that agreement to require you to pay that amount of the cost going forward, but you would not be liable to him for any amounts greater than what you agreed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption