Am I legally able to break a lease if I unknowingly move into an apartment with a roach infestation?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I legally able to break a lease if I unknowingly move into an apartment with a roach infestation?

My wife and I just leased an apartment and, not 24 hours after move in, we started seeing roaches. Panicked, we call management and they blow it off. Now, a week later, a pest control person comes out and 2 hours after he sprayed, there is another one. I have a 4 and 5 year old and my wife and I are very worried about our kids with all of the pesticides. Is there any way to break this lease?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless the rental that you moved into has been cited as a health hazard by your local health department you unfortunately do not have a legal and factual basis to break your lease with your landlord without recourse from what you have written. I suggest that you advise your landlord of the roach infestation as soon as possible and the need to remedy it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption