Am I held responsible, what should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I held responsible, what should I do?

My kid’s father took my vehicle without permission, well I was at work. He wouldn’t return my calls. A day later the hospital caps me and he is in the psych ward. I go talk to him he was high on meth at the time. So he couldn’t remember where the vehicle was or how he ended up in the psych ward. I find out weeks later he got into an accident. I took the insurance off a week prier because I just got a new vehicle and was going to sell that one. He lost the keys and the vehicle was impounded. I wasn’t able to get it out due to no money. I just got a

letter today from the person he crashed into. And they are looking to me for the insurance money. Shouldnt he be held ‘accountable? What should I do?

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF he stole the car--because that's what taking your car without permission is: stealing it--then you should not be responsible for the accident he was in. You would have to 1) be able to honestly and reasonably convince the authorities that he did NOT have permission, not even general or implied permission (e.g. you let him borrow your car in the past, which creates a presumption that he had the right to use it, even if he did not explicitly ask this particular time); and 2) you have to file a police report and press charges--because that's what you do when somone steals your car. If you do and are able to press charges, send a copy of the police report, etc. to the person he crashed into, explain your car was stolen so you are not yourself liable, but pass on your kid's father's contact information (to the extent you know it) so he can be sued. This may be enough to release you from liability and/or get the other person to sue the person who stole your car. If this does not work and you are sued, you can sue your kid's father in turn for any amounts, losses, or costs you incur (though that will not help if he does not have the money to pay).
Remember: there are car thieves, and there are people whom you allowed to use your car, even if you only "allowed" them by not reporting that they stole your car. There is nothing in-between; to show that he did not have authority to use your car, you have to treat him as a criminal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption