Am I going to get billed for some things after my bankruptcy is final if I didn’t include them in my filing?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I going to get billed for some things after my bankruptcy is final if I didn’t include them in my filing?

My lawyer hasn’t billed me since the bankruptcy judge ordered a settlement amount to pay before the bankruptcy is final. So the case is still open, I presume that until we pay the settlement amount. Also, I turned in a lease that was over miles that I should have gotten a final bill for and never heard anything. We are paying the settlement amount slowly but I’m wondering if after the bankruptcy is discharged, are these people going to come after me? I didn’t list either in the list of debtors but I want to. Is it too late?

Asked on January 20, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that this is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Generally speaking anything that is not listed on the bankruptcy petition is not a debt that is subject to being discharged when the bankruptcy is finalized.  You also can not just amend it.  You need to make a motion to amend the petition.  A motion is a formal request to the Court to allow the amendment.  I would call your bankruptcy attorney to see if you can in fact make the motion at this late date.  He or she will best know the answer to this matter and how you are to proceed. There may in fact be a point of no return, so to speak.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption