Am I entitled to total refund?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to total refund?

AC company came out to fix my unit. I paid $404, they added freon and left. Within 24 hours the unit broke again. They came back out, said a diagnostic error was made and told me that coil needed to be replaced. They offered to fix coil for an additional $1985. I got 4 estimates between $700-$900 to replace coil and provided info to said company. They promised $100

satisfaction but would not provide refund of 404 and would not repair unit at a competitive price. Due to my complaints, the owner did offer to return $172.50 of my money but I never the received check.

Asked on October 28, 2016 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If they did not repair a problem and/or did such a poor job of repair that they caused further issues, then you would be entitled to return of your money: they breached their contract (agreement; even if only an oral, or unwritten one) to perform repairs in exchange for payment, and/or committed fraud (lied about what they could or would do). A good idea would be to sue in small claims court on a "pro se," or as your own attorney, basis, to minimize legal costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption