Am I entitled to royalties/benefits from my ex-band?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to royalties/benefits from my ex-band?

I was recently involved in a music video with my now ex-band. I was their drummer. The music video is being sent to MTV Canada and probably other venues but I no longer have an affiliation with the group. If this video goes big and creates any sort of revenue for the band would I be entitled to a royalty being as I was an artist in the recording?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless you signed some agreement waiving any and all rights to royalties resulting from the music of your former band as well as the music video, you as a former member participating in the music and music video would be entitled to royalties for any and all income generated as a result.

In order to protect your interests, I would contact the person in charge of the band presently to keep up with what money has been generated from the music and music video that you participated in and to discuss the percentage of what you would be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption