Am I entitled to receive inheritance.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to receive inheritance.

I live in Texas, my mother passed away last October in the state of New Jersey, another sibling has been in charge of her estate, I know there is a will on file in Ocean County,N.J.,I know approximately 185,000 dollars was made on the sale of her house,I want to know what was in the will and if I’m entitled to any inheritance.

Asked on June 24, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the Will was filed, then it is now a matter of public record and anyone can obtain a copy. You just need to contact the probate court in which the estate was administered. if you did not recceive your rightful share of your mother's estate, you can take legal action sgainst your sister an the executor. However, you should consider the possibility that your mother disinherited you. Also some assets can pass outside of an estate; for example life insurance proceeds are payable to the named beneficiary, real estate can pass to a co-owner, etc.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption