Am I entitled to my share of a finalized settlement or lawsuit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to my share of a finalized settlement or lawsuit?

My father passed away and was entitled to a mesothelioma lawsuit settlement. My mother has Will that left me nothing but all of my other siblings got something. I don’t know if I was named in lawsuit. If I wasn’t named in lawsuit, am I entitled to any money?

Asked on August 16, 2017 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you were not a party to the lawsuit and/or a beneficiary of your father's Will, then you are not entitled to any of the settlement from the personal injury claim. The fact is that adult children can be disinherited. Typically, a state requires certain language of disinheritance but not always. If the Will has been entered into probate, you can get a copy and check it. For any further, questions you should consult directly with a local probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption