Am I entitled to compensation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to compensation?

I was involved in a hit and run auto accident. The driver was caught near by and his insurance paid for my car that was totaled.

I was not injured but want to know if I’m entitled to compensation besides the money I received for my car replacement?

The accident was about 6 months ago.

Should I be made whole? The replacement car was far short of what my car value was really. I’m in Louisiana.

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Accident Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In order to have received compensation from the at-fault party's insurance company, you signed a release of all claims.  The release of all claims in exchange for receiving the settlement check prevents you from trying to obtain additional compensation in the future and/or filing a lawsuit.  
If you were dissatisfied with the settlement offer, you should have rejected it and sued the at-fault party for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption