AmI entitled to a copy of anythingthat Isign at work?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

AmI entitled to a copy of anythingthat Isign at work?

When I sign something regarding work, they will not give me a copy even if it is for my personal file.

Asked on August 27, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This question goes along the lines of whether or not you as an employee in the state of Georgia can see and review and copy your personnel fie.  If you are a public employee in Georgia then you have every right to inspect your personnel file.  However, if you are employed in the private sector then you do not have that right.  If you are part of a union then your union contract may give you even more rights than a public sector employee. In fact you as a union employee may even be able to remove unfair information.  If you are part of a union you should speak with your union representative. I hope that this was helpful.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption