Am I eligible to apply for naturalization having been a US permanent resident since 4/11/83?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible to apply for naturalization having been a US permanent resident since 4/11/83?

I am a US permanent resident since April 11, 2013. I was out of the US 8 times
for a total of 289 days. One of these trips outside US lasted 181 days 7/20/2014
– 1/17/2015. All the rest are of short duration ranging from 3 days to 52 days.
Am I already eligible to apply for naturalization?

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Immigration Law


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should be fine even though a trip outside the US of more than 181 days may terminate your continuous presence the fact that you've been physically present for most of the time for the past 4 years should be ok because in effect it restarted your time.  You can apply for naturalization.  If you are asked about that lengthy trip, i would suggest that you have documentation ready to present to explain the lengthy absence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption