Am I eligible for expungement if I committed statutory rape?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible for expungement if I committed statutory rape?

I committed statutory rape in Arkansas at the age of 17 and was convicted at the age of 18. I settled out of court for 2 counts of aggravated assault, fines and a suspended sentence. The prosecutor wrote on my record in handwriting, “We would have no problem expunging these offenses”.That was my first and only offense/offenses. I have never even had a traffic violation sense then. So, am I eligible for expungement after my suspended sentence is over?

Asked on October 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is now called a Petition and Order to Seal.  You are NOT entitled to sealing for any of the following:

  • A sexual offense in which the victim was under the age of 18 years
  • A felony in which you spent any time in the Arkansas Department of Corrections
  • A Class Y felony
  • A Class A or B felony that are not drug offenses
  • Manslaughter
  • An unclassified felony with a maximum sentence that was more than 10 years
  • A violent felony

These would require a pardon from the Governor.  But from what you have written it does not appear that you were considered convicted of statutory rape.  Please get a copy of the disposition record from the court and go and speak with some one.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption