Am I allowed to take a narcotic while on probation as long as I have a valid prescription?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I allowed to take a narcotic while on probation as long as I have a valid prescription?

I have a valid prescription for narcotics, however I always have them out of my system for PO visits and drug screening because I am scared I will get violated. Can I show the prescription to my PO and have this in my system for my drug screen?

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you're taking a regular prescription for a medical condition, then your P.O. is going to want you to stay current on your meds.  The purpose of any drug tests is to detect illegal drug use-- not legal drug use.  You need to talk to your PO, show them the prescriptions, and offer to get a note from your regular physician, if need be.  They will work with you as long as you have your documentation.  Dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" and you'll be okay. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption