Am I able to have my name removed from a deed or transfer ownership?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to have my name removed from a deed or transfer ownership?

I currently own a manufacturered home with my brother who is a co-signer, however I want to move to another city and he wants to stay. Am I able to remove my name from the house deed so that he is the sole owner or can I transfer ownership to him and, if so, how may I do so? The deed has a secured party on it, they are who I pay my lot rent to. I’ve tried contacting them but they do not return my calls. If I’m unable to transfer ownership and we

must sell the home, would I be able to just live somewhere else and maybe get an apartment in the meantime until I can sell as long as the payments are still being made on the house?

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will release your entire right, title, and interest in the manufactured home to your brother.
The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary. The quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption