Am I a us citizen ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I a us citizen ?

My mom became a citizen when I was 16 years old. However, I never
obtained my certificate of citizenship I am now 18.

I was born in the DR came to the united states at 4 years old. I
have a permanent resident card I have attended school here my whole
life. Does that make me a us citizen, if not What do I do to become a
us citizen officially ?

Asked on November 30, 2016 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to obtain a certificate of citizenship now by showing that your mother naturalized at the time you were still under the age of 18 and thus by operation of law you became a US citizen at that time.   If that does not work for some reason (it should) but if it does not because you are not able to support the dates with documentation, you can just apply for naturalization in your own right now that you are 18.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption