If an auto lender sent me a refund check for just over $3,000 that I might be a mistake but I already deposited the check, what can happen?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an auto lender sent me a refund check for just over $3,000 that I might be a mistake but I already deposited the check, what can happen?

It was for an extended warranty on a recently purchased vehicle.

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the check was a mistake--that is, it should not have been sent to you; you had no right to the money--and they ask for it back, you have to return the money (e.g. write them a new check). Someone's mistake does not give you the right to keep their funds; for example, if you meant to pay a $500 check to your plumber for work done but accidentally wrote it to your electrician when you didn't owe the electrician any money, the electrician would have to return the $500--he could not keep your money simply because you sent him a check by mistake. If you do not return the lender's money if they ask for it, they could sue you to get it back, and if they sue you, may be able to get certain costs of the lawsuit, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption