What can we do if our homeowner’s insurer is grossly underpaying our claim?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if our homeowner’s insurer is grossly underpaying our claim?

We have well over $100,000 in damages according to a public adjusters estimates. They are burying us in paperwork etc and refusing to pay any further amount. What is our legal recourse?

Asked on September 1, 2015 under Insurance Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them, if you believe that they are obligated to pay more under the terms of your policy. An insurance policy is a contract, and the insurer must pay when contractually obligated if they are not paying as per the policy's plaint terms, given the facts of the situation, you can sue them for breach of contract violating their obligations and also for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing the obligation, legally "implied" to all contracts, that the parties to the contract deal with each other in good faith. To win, you'd have to prove in court that given the parameters of your coverage and the extent/cost of the damage, that they should have paid you $X but did not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption