What can I do regarding my ex-wife harassing me about alimony payments?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding my ex-wife harassing me about alimony payments?

In my divorce decree it clearly states that alimony will be paid 2 business

days after I receive my paycheck. However, my ex started harassing me that same day; she says that when I get paid I have to pay her. Is there anything that I can do legally to stop this behavior?

Asked on November 20, 2018 under Family Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there really is nothing you can do about this, so long as she is not making threats or calling at inappropriate times (e.g late at night): as a general matter, the law does not prohibit someone from contacting another person to check on when they will do or pay something, even if such contact is unwanted or unnecessary. The law doesn't force people to be reasonable or considerate: it only bars contacts that would meet the definition of criminal harassment, which the conduct you describe does not appear to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption