What can I do if my ex is saying that I’m not entitled to alimony.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex is saying that I’m not entitled to alimony.?

I’m a stay-at-home mom to 2 small kids, I quit my job while pregnant with my second to be at home with them because it was something we agreed on…he is now saying that I’m only entitled to child support. The job I left was not a high potential or high paying job either. He works a high paying job though and I have the kids currently $80 of the time. I’m think that I’m entitled to alimony to go back to school increase my earning potential. I have a degree from 7 years ago that now requires I re-learn to recertification and re-licensure to even consider a job and no work experience in that field at all.

Asked on November 15, 2017 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Alimony in Nevada - or spousal support as it is now called - comes in a variety of forms.  The form that you are talking about is called "rehabilitative" support and that is the only one of the many that has guidelines.  The others are awarded under the "just and equitable" banner. There are 11 guidelines that I will re-print for you here.  But I really think that you should seek legal help asap and have your attorney file a motion for temporary suppor (pendente lite).  Good luck.
1.  The financial condition of each spouse.2.  The nature and value of the respective property of each spouse.3.  The contribution of each spouse to any property held by the spouses pursuant to section 123.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes.4.  The duration of marriage.5.  The income, earning capacity, age and health of each spouse.6.  The standard of living during the marriage.7.  The career before the marriage of the spouse who would receive the alimony.8.  The existence of specialized education or training or the level of marketable skills attained by each spouse during the marriage.9.  The contribution of either spouse as homemaker.10.  The award of property granted by the court in the divorce, other than child support and alimony, to the spouse who would receive the alimony.11.  The physical and mental condition of each party as it relates to the financial condition, health and ability to work of that spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption