Alabama Treatment Center Abuse: Your Personal & Legal Rights

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The state of Alabama either contracts with or certifies substance abuse programs throughout the state. If you believe your rights have been violated by a program that either provides services for or has been certified by the state of Alabama, you may contact the Substance Abuse Services Division of the Alabama Department of Mental Health & Mental Retardation (ADMG/MR) for consumer advocacy assistance. The department has a number of advocates across the state that may be able to help you. Advocates are generally non-adversarial and can provide information and referrals, rights complaint investigations and resolutions, facility compliance monitoring and rights education and training.

If you are receiving services from a drug or alcohol treatment center, you have rights, both legal and personal. These rights include:

– The right to know the cost of care and services you will receive when admitted to a facility.
– The right not to be abused, either physically or mentally or through neglect.
– The right to a safe and humane environment and treatment for your positive self-image and dignity.
– The right not to be restrained or isolated unnecessarily.
– The right to wear your own clothes and to keep your own possessions.
– The right to see visitors, send/receive mail, and use the telephone.
– The right to have records of your treatment kept private.
– The right to practice whatever religious faith you choose.
– The right to be treated as a legally competent adult unless a court has ordered otherwise.
– If you are school-age, the right to a free and appropriate public education.
– The right to file a writ of habeas corpus with an attorney of your choice if you feel you are being held in a facility illegally.
– The right to due process, that is, that your rights may not be taken from you without justification.
– The right to quality and individualized treatment.
– The right to participate in your own treatment.
– The right to receive the least restrictive treatment in the least restrictive settings available for your treatment.
– The right to refuse any experimental or research-based treatment.
– The right to treatment and services based on your voluntary, written and informed consent.
– The right to know your rights.

If your rights have been violated, you may call ADMG/MR or seek direct intervention from an experienced Alabama attorney specializing in treatment center abuse. Fill out our case evaluation form if you would like an Alabama lawyer to evaluate your case for free.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption