What is an “Agreed Judgement”?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is an “Agreed Judgement”?

My husband received a letter from an attorneys office that is attempting to collect a credit card debt. We know that we do owe this debt. I called them to set up a payment plan because I was afraid that he would be sued. We have received no summons. Upon contacting the debt collector they stated that a lawsuit has been initiated. I am being charged court costs although county records show no such suit. They did set up monthly payments but are mailing papers to sign. They said it was an agreed judgement. What is this? Is this my best option? I

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is go and find a free center to give you credit counseling advice.  Check you state attorney general's website. In these hard economic times there are many places that offer free advice.

Ok, so they claim that they instituted suit. But you have not been served, correct?  They I would fight the court charges.  Tell them that you checked with the court and no case has been filed and that if they attempt to add this charge you will report them.  As for the "agreed judgement" issue, it means read the paperwork they send you.  You will be, most likely, agreeing to a term of repayment and if you default (not pay) then they will enter judgement against you without having to actually go to court.  BRING THE PAPERWORK TO SOMEONE TO READ FOR YOU.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption