Age of insurance coverage

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Age of insurance coverage

I am an 18 year old EMT and I live in CA. By law, I am legally allowed to drive an ambulance however, recently, I dented the rear end of the ambulance backing up. I did not have a backer. I was told by my company, that the insurance does not cover me due to my age and lack of cumulative driving experience and a hefty bill is on my plate.

Asked on July 11, 2019 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An 18-year old could buy his or her own insurance. But that does not mean that an 18-year old would necessarily be covered under a business's policy. An insurance policy can include limitations or exceptions to who is covered--for example, a rental car place does not allow 18-year olds to drive (you have to be 21 to rent a car) and so their insurance would not cover them. It is entirely possible that the ambulence company's policy will not cover 18-year-olds or people without more driving experience than you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption