What is the aw regarding the age of consent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the aw regarding the age of consent?

My boyfriend is 17 and I am 19. Everything is consensual and his parents know how old I am. He lied to me about his age when we first got together. He is currently going to court for stealing his grandfather’s car and destroying the vehicle. When he told his probation officer how old I was, she reported me to CPS. Now I am nervous the state will press charges on me. What can I do?

Asked on August 1, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If charges are brought, get a criminal defense attorney with experience in this field. In your state, the age of consent is 18; that means legally, he could not consent to sex and any sex with him would be considered sexual assault if you are 18 or over. If you were 18 (not 19), you'd fall in a "safe harbor" since he's not more than 2 years younger than you, but that exception to prosecution (an 18 year old with a 16 or 17 year old) does not apply to a 19 year old. Therefore, you have, by the letter of the law, committed a crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption