Age of Consent clarification Michigan

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Age of Consent clarification Michigan

I’m currently 16 years of age. What does the age of consent law prohibit me from
participating with consensually with someone 15 years of age? Does it only
prohibit sexual intercourse? What qualifies as ‘sexual activity’?

I live in Michigan.

Asked on July 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are prohibited from engaging in "sexual penetration," which your state defines as intercourse, oral sex, or digital (finger) penetration. However, because you are less than 18 and because of how close you are in age, you and your partner may engage in other behavior (kissing; "petting") even if it causes sexual gratification. Once your partner is 16, you may engage in any sexual or intimate activity you and your partner choose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption