after singing over life insurance to fu real home, can I get money back from estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

after singing over life insurance to fu real home, can I get money back from estate?

My grandma passed in February. She and my mother had
not spoken in 3 years and she cut her out of the will. Her life
insurance was still in my mothers name and when my
grandma passed, my mother signed the life insurance over
to the funeral home to cover some of the funeral costs.
Now, she decided that she didnt want to do that and wants
the life insurance money back via the estate. Can she do

Asked on June 30, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, she cannot get the life insurance back from the estate. Your mother chose to sign the insurance over to the funeral home: she did not have to do that, and it was voluntary for her to do so. Having chose to do this, she cannot now make anyone else--including the estate, reimburse her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption