What to do with an item that is secured after a Chapter 7 discharge?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do with an item that is secured after a Chapter 7 discharge?

My Chapter 7 was completed over 2 1/2 years ago. I have a item that was purchased with a credit card and it states that they have a secured interest in the item and they have not contacted me about recovering this item. What should I do? Is it OK to get rid of this item?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


Malcolm Ruthven / Malcolm Ruthven, Bankruptcy Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I wouldn't spend any more time worrying about this. Holders of those "secured" debts (for example from large stores) seldom do anything to get the item back. If you haven't heard from them my now, you're not going to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption