After my divorce is concluded, can I still sue for money owed to me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After my divorce is concluded, can I still sue for money owed to me?

My ex moved our joint savings to another account then abruptly divorced me leaving me no time to find a lawyer for my best interest. In our divorce it lists our account to be divided equally the account he left at zero so that I wouldn’t get anything. I ended up getting a lawyer after the fact but shortly after doing so my ex contacted me telling me we would be able to work it out without lawyers and it

would be best if we both dropped our lawyers and for me to send him financials to prove what was my half, etc., around 18K. I was given zero spousal support knowing I didn’t have a job and a child to raise not his. I have emails, text messages that we have exchanged but nothing has ever been resolved. When I try to bring it up to start the process of being paid back he acts like nothing ever

happened. What kind of lawyer would I need and would emails and texts of him saying that he would come to an agreement and pay help my issue?

Asked on December 7, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So go back and get the lawyer asap. You sound like you were denied rights under the law and truly I think your ex is just playing you at this point in time.  Do not let him.  You likely need to set the divorce aside - or that portion that deals with distribution of marital assets - based up some form of contract law: fraud, duress, coercion.  GOod luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption