After 25 years of marriage am I entitled to assets from a rental property owned by my husband before our marriage.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After 25 years of marriage am I entitled to assets from a rental property owned by my husband before our marriage.

I am on SSD and going through a divorce with my husband. We have been separated for 9 years and are now just divorcing. He says I have no entitlement to his rental property as I had made no contribution to it. He also lives in the house we both own. I have signed forms in the past along side him when we refinanced the house.

Asked on November 23, 2017 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would not be entitled to equity or assets from this property, based on what you write: "that was owned by my husband before our marriage." Property owned by a spouse prior to marriage are not marital property: they, and the proceeds of them, belong solely to the person who had owned it pre-marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption