For me to adopt my 18 year old granddaughter, do her parents have to be notified?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

For me to adopt my 18 year old granddaughter, do her parents have to be notified?

Asked on December 20, 2010 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Since your granddaughter is 18, she is legally considered to be an adult in the eyes of the law.  In TX, the adoption of an adult is governed by Chapter 162, Subchapter F. Adoption of an Adult.

Section 162.501 provides that the court may grant the petition of an adult residing in the state to adopt another adult.  Section 162.503/4, lists the requirements for such an adoption: (1) If the petitioner is married, both spouses must join in the petition for adoption; and (2) a court may not grant an adoption unless the adult consents in writing to be adopted by the petitioner.

So it does not appear that an adult biological parents must consent to the adoption.  Since this can all get tricky, you should consult directly with a family law attorney on your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption