What can I do if according to my divorce decree, I am supposed to be in possession of a vehicle that has not been given to me?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if according to my divorce decree, I am supposed to be in possession of a vehicle that has not been given to me?

In fact, my ex-husband sold it to a car dealership to get a brand new vehicle. Can I call the police to report it stolen? Can I have them escort me over to his house to retrieve the vehicle that is supposed to be mine?

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can file an offense report for either theft, hindering a secured creditor, or unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.  If the vehicle was awarded to you, he had no authority to encumber it.   
Your other option is to file a motion for enforcement and seek damages in the amount of the vehicle.  You need to do this sooner than later because the general statute of limitations is only two years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption