What to do if you rear-ended someone but gave unintentionally gave incorrect insurance information?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if you rear-ended someone but gave unintentionally gave incorrect insurance information?

My sister accidentally rear ended someone recently. Per her story, she and the lady she hit pulled into a nearby parking lot where an officer was finishing another accident report on a different crash. The officer looked over both vehicles and decided there was no damage and did not write up a report. My sister gave the woman she hit her insurance info anyway however it was an old insurance card who is no longer her carrier as she now has different insurance. A couple weeks later she starts receiving phone calls and emails from her old insurer – apparently the woman she hit filed a claim. My sister is not responding to their inquiries because she claims the officer said there was no damage and a police report was not written up. Does she need to talk to take action?

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your sister should correct the insurance information because the other party filed a claim.  Since the old insurance company will deny the claim, the other party may conclude that there is no insurance and will then sue your sister.  If your sister corrects the insurance information, her current insurance carrier can handle the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption