What can be do regarding an uncooperative insurance company?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be do regarding an uncooperative insurance company?

I was rear-ended by an elderly driver who made no attempt to stop; they were clearly negligent. Luckily we were not physically hurt but the accident has placed a great deal of stress, impacting my husband’s already inflated blood pressure. The other driver’s insurance company has been difficult to work with and it’s costing us a lot of time and aggravation. Do we have any legal recourse?

Asked on December 4, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the at-fault party's insurance carrier denies your claim or offers to settle the case for an amount with which you are dissatisfied or is giving you the runaround, your recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.
Depending on the amount of property damage (cost of repairs) to your car, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. Since no one was injured, stress without medical treatment is insufficient for a separate personal injury claim. A personal injury claim requires documented medical treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption