Responsibility for Construction Defects
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 18, 2013
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Homeowners or renters that suffer injuries or property damage due to construction defects to their residence may be able to pursue the parties responsible for building or renovating the home or apartment. Although each situation is different, there are some general considerations before taking any action. As with any construction claim or legal action, an experienced attorney should be consulted – particularly in serious cases.
Common Construction Defect Damages
Not every construction defect will warrant sigificant damages, however, there are some common ones that you should pursue or discuss with your attorney:
- Cost of repairs: Any costs associated with the repair or renovation should be noted and claimed
- Cost of injuries: Medical costs including surgeries, treatments, and rehabilitation
- Future costs: Should the injury or illness be serious and ongoing, attempt to calculate future costs by working with doctors and other medical professionals.
- Lost wages: Should you miss time from work, calculate the money you lost by not collecting wages
- Cost of relocation: If you need to move or temporarily relocate as a result of the repairs or renovations, keep track of any expenses associated with your relocation
- Quality of life: Loss of quality of life damages can be very difficult to calculate, but can arise from inability to enjoy your living space by inviting friends over, spending time with your family, or otherwise getting the type of life you expected for the money you paid for your home or apartment
- Property damage: If your property was damaged as a result of the construction defect, keep track of the costs associated with the loss or repair of your property
Pursuing Construction Defects Damages
When pursuing a claim or a lawsuit for construction defects damage, you will likey be questioned by insurance professionals or attorneys representing the construction company or contractors responsible for the damage. Working with insurance companies and attorneys who oppose your position can be difficult, and you will be asked to describe all the circumstances of your defect and the damages you believe you suffered. During this process, you will need to be very careful about what you say because any statements that downplay the effect of the defect or suggest you contributed to worsening can derail your claim. It is best to speak carefully, provide only the facts of the defect and the damages, and consult an attorney prior to taking any action.