UPDATED: Feb 10, 2020

What types of questions should someone ask a Washington State car accident attorney before hiring him or her? To make certain that you hire the right attorney for your situation, our Washington legal expert recommends asking the right questions.

Washington Auto Accident Attorney Matt Menzer

Matt Menzer, a Washington car accident lawyer who’s been practicing law and representing plaintiffs for over 20 years in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death and other areas, recommends asking the following questions before hiring a car accident attorney:

• How long has the lawyer been in practice and what is his (or her) practical experience doing these kinds of cases?
  • Does the lawyer specialize in this area or is it just one of the many areas he handles?
  • What is the lawyer’s educational background and training?
  • How many cases does the attorney’s firm handle at one time or how many cases does the lawyer himself handle at one time?
  • Will the lawyer personally be handling your case or delegate those responsibilities to others in the office?

Menzer says that asking these questions will give you a better sense of how a Washington car accident attorney operates and whether the relationship is the right fit. It’s especially important to determine who is going to be paying individual attention to your case.

What kind of attention will your case receive?

Making sure your case gets the proper attention means knowing who’s going to be handling the case. Menzer provided the following example:

In my firm, cases are handled exclusively on a day-to-day basis by one or two lawyers. In some other firms, you can have a case where most of the work is being done by a paralegal or legal assistant and a lawyer only gets involved at the end of the case, if need be. If it was me and I had the auto accident, I’d want to know that there was a lawyer who was working on the case and that he or she was working on it from the beginning to the end.

Hiring the right lawyer means not only hiring someone who understands the process involved in filing a Washington State car accident lawsuit, but also someone who will take the time to advise you on the ways to increase your chances of prevailing in a Washington car accident tips – regardless of what action you ultimately decide to take.