What are our rights regarding a accident involving a reckless driver?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights regarding a accident involving a reckless driver?

Our SUV was hit by a reckless driver driving 100 mph. Their insurance adjuster is willing to pay only the visible cost of the property damage (approximately $1500) to me. My all 4 family members were in the SUV at the at time and my daugher (16 years old) has whiplash. We all witnessed that driver was trying to commit suicide. Are we able to request for compensation?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can always request compensation; however, it is up to the insurer whether to pay--and how much--based on their assessment of the respective degrees of fault of their driver and you, as well as their assessment of the actual provable "value" of injuries, losses, property damage, costs, etc.

You do not have to take the insurer's determination at face value--remember: the insurer's goal is to pay out as little money as they can; they are not neutral in this regards, but have a definite agenda which is contrary to your interests.

If you feel that you deserve more compensation, you can sue the at fault driver; if you can prove in court that he was at fault and the degree of your damages, he--and/or his insurer--would pay.

You can sue for:

1) Property damage

2) Medical costs

3) Lost wages

4) Pain and suffering, for injuries which have significant and at least moderately long-lasting pain, disability, or disfigurement

From what you write, it would be worthwhile consulting with a personal injury attorney about bringing a claim. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption