About seperation and divorce

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

About seperation and divorce

My husband left me for another women. I
moved out of the house and he moved her
in. Yesterday he went and pulled all
the money out of our joint account
leaving me with nothing. I have been
disabled for years and a homemaker
before that. He has been helping me but
yesterday went and pulled all the money
out of our account leaving me with
nothing. I need help.

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a formal separation agreement in effect or final decree of divorce stating which one of you has the rights to the house, then it is still considered to be the "joint marital residence". What this means that you have the same right to live there as your husband does. Thisis true no matter whose name is on the deed/mortgage. At this point, you really need to consult directly with a local divorce attorney; they can best advise you further. Since money is an issue, you may qualify for free/low cost legal assistance. Try legal aid or your department of social services. Additionally, you can also contact your state/county bar association for low cost legal help. Finally, check to see if there is a law school close to where you live, since they typically run legal clinics that handle divorce cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption