What to do if we moved out of our house that we were renting a month ago but still haven’t receivedour deposit back?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we moved out of our house that we were renting a month ago but still haven’t receivedour deposit back?

We did a walk-through with the landlord before moving out and he said that he would mail us the deposti.

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a former landlord is required to return to the former tenant(s) the security deposit within 21 to 45 days of the move out depending upon the state there the property is located.

Since you have moved out roughly 30 days ago, I would write the landlord a letter asking for the return of your security deposit within 5 days of the date of the letter sent. Keep a copy of the letter for future need. If the landlord fails to return your deposit, small claims may be your option to get your money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption