How do I go about getting temporary spousal support?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting temporary spousal support?

I have called the courts to ask about getting temporary support from my soon to be ex-husband who is with holding money from our joint checking accounts. We own our own business and now he has gone and got another account and is basically cut me off. I am unemployeed; I worked with him with our company and now cannot provide for myself.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  You need to go down to legal aid or any women's services group and get yourself an attorney as soon as you can.  You should have had temporary support during this time already ordered by a judge.  Have you had the business valued as a marital asset for distribution?  If you can not get to legal aid then try your local bar association for any one that does pro bono work.  You yourself - if you have no attorney but I do not suggest that this is a good idea - can file a motion for a hearing for temporary alimony in the court where the divorce proceeding has ben filed.  I can not help you with form here so again, please go and get some legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption